Sunday, November 25, 2007

It's the most wonderful time of the year.

Just a few days ago was Thanksgiving and I spent mine in Richfield Utah. I was at the home of my friend Miranda's family along with her husband Trevor. I spend a whole lot of time with them and they are like family to me here. In fact, they're the closest thing I have here to family. I would not be as happy as I am now, and maybe not even be in Utah right now if it weren't for them. They took me in from the day I got here, which was pretty incredible. Before I came to Utah I knew them, and I had hung out in groups of people with them, but we weren't close or anything. This Thanksgiving I just want to say i am thankful for Miranda and Trevor Williams.

Thanksgiving in Richfield was different from my usual Thanksgiving, and I thinkt hat was a good thing. If it had been anything like Thanksgiving in MA I would have thought about what I was missing a lot. I enjoyed every minute of it though, from helping to take china out of the cabinet, to cutting down Christmas trees.

I really don't agree too much with the title of this post. This time of the year is pretty depressing. I can never get my mind off of all the people who are less fortunate than me. When I was a kid my parent's brought me to NYC during Christmas time. It was beautiful, and exciting. There was the giant tree, giant Christmas decorations, Christmas music, toy stores, and so much more. Unfortunately that was not what I remember about it. The thing I remember most was all of the homeless people. They were sleeping on vents, on corners, begging for money. New York City's last mayor did a lot to remove them from view. I don't know where they all went, but somehow I doubt he got them all jobs and places to live. So many people every year do not have a giant dinner for Thanksgiving and/or Christmas. They don't have a Christmas tree, they don't sit around the fire with hot cocoa, the don't have money for presents, they don't have family to spend the holidays with, and many don't even have a place to call home. How lucky am I? How lucky are you?! If you're reading this then it is probably on a computer, which they don't have either.

I know that Christmas in name at least should be all about Christ. I don't like the commercialization of the holiday at all, BUT I know that not everyone is Christian. I think that no matter what your religion is you should be able to think of Christmas as a holiday about love. Everyone can celebrate that. Love for your family, neighbors, friends, and even people you don't know. Although charity is the pure love of Christ, you do not have to believe in him to help out those in need. Yes, there are always those who work the system, or those who are where they are by choice, but there are a lot of people who cannot help where they are. I encourage everyone this year to let everyone celebrate the holiday how they want, whether it be Christian, Jewish, or any other religion, or none at all. Love someone, because the world needs it.

The title: Andy Williams - It's The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year

No comments: